In the previous post, we covered the definition of cannabis agriculture and farming. And some of the careers and companies that exist in this industry sector. In this post, we'll touch on some of the jobs available today, from entry-level to leadership.
Jobs in cannabis agriculture, farming & cultivation
Trimmer and Cultivation Technician are some of the most in-demand jobs in cannabis cultivation. This job requires a lot of physical work and repetitive tasks such as standing or sitting for long periods. This role is an essential role at any cannabis site and a great entry into cultivation.
- Daily plant care of watering, transplanting, pruning, and trimming
- Fertilizing and providing nutrients
- Track and record daily data on resource use and waste
- Sanitation and maintenance of workstation and trimming site
IPM (Integrated Pest Management) Technician is responsible for insects and biological pest control, disease evaluation, treatment, and preventative disease management.
Duties of an IPM Technician include:
- Monitor plants regularly for pests and diseases
- Conduct weekly scouting activities identifying pests, viruses, plant diseases in crops
- Introduce beneficial biologicals as per IPM operating procedures
- Trim, prune and transplant plants
Search for IPM Technician jobs near me
Grower is responsible for day-to-day cultivation from propagation to harvest, working under an experienced grower, team lead or cultivation manager. This physically demanding job requires sitting, standing, bending, and crouching for extended periods.
Job duties for a Grower are:
- Cloning, transplanting, feeding, defoliation, vegetation, topping, flushing, foliar feeding, drying, curing, trimming, packaging, waste management and pest prevention
- Setting up irrigation systems and environmental controls (greenhouse and warehouses)
- Maintain plant health and diagnose correct nutrient management protocols
- Manage on-time plant schedules and inventory
Search for Grower jobs near me
A Director of Cultivation is responsible for leading an entire production and cultivation site as a leadership team member responsible for end-to-end cultivation from genetics, propagation to post-harvest.
Duties of a Director of Cultivation include:
- Day-to-day management and oversight of cultivation staff
- Cultivation facility management - maintenance & sanitation
- Develop cultivation schedule, workforce planning, and budgeting
- Nutrient program management and development
- Ensure facility compliance and regulatory quality assurance
- Climate, monitoring and environmental system management - lighting, temperature, air filtration, and CO2 tanks
- Data analysis and reporting - yield output, batch analysis, cataloguing, and performance management
Search for Cultivation Director jobs near me
Cultivation Analyst is responsible for the compliance, forecasting and data collection and analysis for growing and cultivation insights & recommendations. A cultivation analyst is similar to other data analyst positions leading data collection and analysis, looking for efficiencies and increased yield production opportunities.
Duties of a Cultivation Analyst are:
- Data collection & analysis
- Provide insights and recommendations to improve cultivation output and reduce cost
- Data visualization & reporting
- Provide product forecasts, and risk mitigation strategies
Discover more jobs in Agriculture & Farming in Cannabis
Six cannabis cultivators
Connected Cannabis Co - Sacramento
Connected Cannabis was founded in 2009 as a leading cultivator with operations in California and Arizona. Connected Cannabis has raised over $30M in financing from investors such as Navy Capital, and One Tower Group. Connected Cannabis has plans to expand geographically in new regions such a Michigan and Nevada.
Search for jobs at Connected Cannabis
Gage Growth Corporation is a Michigan and Canadian-based cannabis cultivator and processor. On September 2, 2021, TerrAscend Corp, a leading vertically integrated company announced the acquisition of Gage Crowth Corporation and its subsidiaries.
Search for jobs at Gage USA
Broken Coast - Vancouver Island, Canada
Broken Coast Cannabis was established in 2013 in British Columbia and is now located on Vancouver Island producing high-grade craft cannabis. Broken Coast grows cannabis indoor, in small single strain room batches with hand trimming and natural slow cured harvests. Broken Coast is a premium cannabis brand in Canada and was acquired by Aphria in 2018 for $230M.
Search for jobs at Aphria
The Green Organic Dutchman - Ontario & Quebec
The Green Organic Dutchman (TGOD) is a certified organically grown Canadian cannabis company located in Ontario and Quebec. Cannabis is grown in living soil with a focus on health and wellness products. The Green Organic Dutchman has a Europen subsidiary, HemPoland that sells hemp CBD and infused topicals.
Green Thumb Industries - Chicago
Green Thumb Industries (GTI) is a publicly traded vertically integrated consumer packaged goods cannabis company and retailer headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Green Thumb Industries was founded in 2014 by Ben Kovler and employs over 2,000 employees across the United States and is named one of the best companies and employers in cannabis.
Search for jobs at Green Thumb Industries
Ascend Wellness Holdings - NJ, Massachusetts, Michigan, Illinois
Ascend Wellness Holdings (AWH) is a multi-state vertically integrated cannabis operator in Illinois, Michigan Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Ohio. As a vertically integrated company, Ascend Wellness Holdings, cultivates, manufactures, processes, distributes, and sells cannabis and related products to medical patients and for adult use.
Search for jobs at Ascend Wellness Holdings
For jobs, visit the cannabis-exclusive job search engine for the United States & Canada.